This new beginning means I get to whittle two more sets of tone bars for the new soundboards. I got it done in a couple of hours this afternoon. Here is the process.
First, I cut to length each of the tone bars and label them with their position number. Here are the rough pieces arranged in their proper places.
Next- after carefully setting the table saw blade to the proper height I cut the notch on each tone bar so that they will fit tightly over the bridge patch. I use a sled on the table saw. It is safe and efficient.
Now the rough tone bars need only carving and shaping.
perhaps I should have said Whittling, cuz that is what it is with a razor sharp exacto knife twenty-four tone bars are whittled in a bit over an hour. kind of fun actually . Here is the mess on the floor in front of my chair,
And here are finished tone bars sanded and waiting to be glued. In the background is the second set awaiting the whittling knife.
I got eleven of the twelve tone bars glued and clamped here. In a couple of hours I can get that last one glued on and move all these clamps to the next ukulele.