I found a huge and lovely board of Honduran Mahogany in the wood store today. 2 inches thick, eleven inches wide and perhaps 12 feet long. I could not resist and purchased 64 inches of it. Brought it home, cut it into 16 inch lengths and began making necks for future tenors. a big job but lots of fun and satisfaction.
I was able to rip each piece into four neck blanks. Here I am just beginning the first cut. I am using a 1/2 inch blade on the band saw.
Each blank is 2 3/4 inches wide, the width of the head stock on the completed uke. but I must cut the shape on the two inch side. I use a trusty old acrylic pattern that I have used for years.
Here they all are, marked with pencil and ready to saw. I changed to a 1/4 inch 6 tooth blade to be able to make the tight curves at the throat.
Here is the goal. I nice husky neck with just one glue lamination piece. The 6 tooth blade cut the wood like butter and I got excellent 90 degree results.
Seven more to cut, then lots of gluing on the feet and I will have a years supply of tenor necks stacked up and ready when I need them. Very pleased with the quality of the wood. A good find.
I also had the fretboards now glued on #s 144 & 145, so it was time to shape the necks.
The unshaped neck is always wider than the fretboard. This Japanese rasp makes short work of getting the excess wood down close.
It has been quite a day in the workshop