A couple of months ago I built a tenor for Laura, a teacher in Cicero Illinois. She sent me this marvelous photo of her recent class of new ukulele players. The camp was for two weeks, 3 hours a day. This was the last day, they had just played a concert for their parents. look how happy they are. Don't you love it?
Laura looks pretty happy too. She stands on the far right holding her new Griffin Kasha.
And there are more Kasha tenors in the works. Here is #126 which had just received its back and now is going to have all the edges trimmed in preparation for cutting the binding slots.
The blue tape is to make the trimmer stand a tiny bit proud of the edge to avoid hitting the side. The final bit of edge will be leveled with sand paper. The instrument is held firmly in this clamping device while the edges are trimmed.
The binding grooves have now been cut with a router, the bindings bent on the hot pipe, and now they are being glued on. Held in place with this special tape while the glue sets.
All the bindings are glued on. These clamps assure that the ends will be tight to the body top and bottom.
Heel caps to match the fret board have been cut and are now clamped as the glue sets. Ebony for Kent's #125 and Honduran Rosewood for the Sycamore.
The end pieces are also installed now. I guess it is time for the Fret boards.
I have cut the fret wire into the 21 pieces, now for the tedious job of installing each one with a thin line of glue on the tang.
Here are the tools needed. Glue, hammer, damp paper towel, dry paper towel, arbor press with a radiused insert, and some patience