I have made big progress on this new build. The sides are bent, the pieces are all thinned to their final thickness, The rosettes are in, the bindings are selected and bent. Here is the report.
Here is the new Griffin Ukulele label. I finally gave up on my rather garish hand painted and drawn label and asked my talented grandson, Evan Christie to design me a new label. I have it in several colors and think it fits into the Kasha sound hole quite nicely. What do you think of it??. I would appreciate hearing from you.
- Yesterday I did all the bending for these two ukes. Bent the sides, the bindings and the rosettes and got the rosettes installed. I got excellent bends. Sycamore bends very easily, or maybe I am getting better at it. Love doing it with the hot pipe.
a new wrinkle. I clipped the newly bent bindings to the sides to let them dry and set in the shape that I will insist they take later.
I got the back braces made and glued to the thinned backs. The braces are fine grained Sitka Spruce. Here you see them in the "Go-bar" deck.
Now the sound holes have been cut and the bridge patches are being glued on
Here are all of the tone bars, cut to length and set in their approximate positions awaiting final carving.
Now each has been marked with the high point and the whittling begins.
The tone bars on the first uke have been whittled into final shape and sanded. It is 5:00 pm and time for a martini, but a lot of progress has been made.