I deserve a martini after a successful and productive day in the workshop. Delrene's Kasha tenor made great strides today.
First duty of the day was to box up David's concert all ready to ship off Monday to Indianapolis. This is the left handed concert with a side sound port on both sides, An ambidextrous instrument. If you want to play it right handed you just reverse the strings. David chose to include a gig bag in his purchase. These are great gig bags made for me by Jesus Jurado in Mexico. Only $40.00.
Next project was to trim the edges of Delrene's tenor. I placed it in this holder device that I made. Clamped to the workbench it holds the uke steady for whatever you want to do to it. By putting this masking tape on the body you make the router bitt cut just a bit away from the side. Then you can finish the job with hand sanding. It avoids the router bitt biting into the side.
Here is the router edge trimming bitt. The wheel rides along the side guiding the cutter. Works great, but you need to go slowly to avoid splitting off an edge along the side. All went well and we got a nice trim. Then some sanding and we were ready for the next stage, this one more traumatic.
Cutting the grooves to make room for the binding and the end piece seems a violent and brutal assault on the lovely instrument that you have been so carefully constructing. It always causes me concern as I take the aggressive router to the instrument. But it will be well worth it in the end. Here you see the damage done. Now the repair begins.
The first of four pieces of binding are fitted and glued on. The clamps support a couple of small areas where the binding resisted being tightly joined. After dinner I will fit and attach another piece. By tomorrow evening this uke might be ready for the next step.