I am out of things I can accomplish until my thickness sander is repaired. Today I inlaid the g in the peg head plate and now I cannot progress until I can begin to thin wood 0n the drum sander. I will check with the repair shop monday and hope for good news. So here is what I did today.
I traced around a g with a fine point ink pen on the peg head stock. Pencil is too hard to see so I use black ink. The g I have them cut for me by a skilled laser cutter. They are not cheap but I have a good supply of them.
The plate is fixed to a board with double stick tape to keep it in place, and a fine engraving bitt is put into the Dremel.
You carefully rout out the slot for the g and push it in, then gluing it in place with thin superglue. Looks kind of sloppy but it will be fine when sanded flat and clean. The other peg head and its g slot were cut out by the laser man. That is a lot easier.
This will get some more sanding but it is beginning to clean up. Below is a picture I took during a lull in our Community Players practice recently. Everyone is intently studying the music. We are sounding pretty good under the leadership of Linda Henderson.
Pat is playing a really lovely arch top ukulele made in England. Brian, in the blue shirt is playing his Griffin tenor. I play my "Son of Gut Bucket" bass in this group. Lots and lots of fun.