I told you yesterday I would show you the finished end piece- So here it is!
This morning I taped off the end piece to protect the surrounding sides and binding as I attacked the protruding piece with the ultra sharp little finger plane and long flat sanding block. Didn't take very long to get it down flat and faired to the contour of the sides. When the sanding began to wear away the blue tape I knew I was almost there.
I then took off the blue tape and with a few more passes with the sanding block the job was done. Where there was a tiny gap, I placed a drop of thick superglue and then sanded over it. Sawdust filled the superglue and the gap is gone. The wood match is not perfect, but it is harmonious and OK.
So just to get an idea, I set the fretboard, peghead plate and bridge in position (oops that head plate slipped) and this is roughly what the Kasha baritone will look like when all is done. Next step, putting in the frets and attaching the fretboard. Then finishing the neck.