PROGRESS ON STU FUCH'S KASHA TENOR
The water tank Redwood is glued up in my simple but effective contraption. All held in place with 25 pounds of lead shot.
When dried, the new soundboard is cut to shape on the band saw and the tone bars cut to length ready to be whittled .
Just to keep track of things, I have laid the cut pieces out in their proper position. Whoops, I need to get a bridge patch laid out. But first I need to make some more tentalones, I find I am all out.
So it is over to the band saw and my homemade tentalone cutting jig. I had a bunch of basswood stock already cut and ready to go.
It only took about half an hour to cut all of these, and now with a sharp knife to cut the slope and sand it smooth and I am ready for a few more instruments.
And the first to get the new tentalones is Ron's Bubinga baritone. A little glue, some clothespin clamps and --
VOIlA! This baritone is ready to receive it's side sound port.
9/17/2018 11:39:30 am
Looks great, Brian. My Stew Mac tenor kit is coming along slowly but surely between some other projects around the house. I've also started collecting stuff for #2. a Kasha tenor. I discovered a box of Black Walnut planks I had bought about 14 years ago for my old guitar project. I've already planed and sanded a set down to thickness for the sides, and have a bookmatched set dry and ready for thinning for the back. The fretboard is also going to be from the same reclaimed BW stock. I have a Redwood plank that's been laying around my shop about as long as the BW. Don't know where I got it, but I'm planning to resaw it this evening, and if I don't mess that up, see how it would look as a bookmatched top to go with the BW body. I have some Spanish Cedar I'm going to rip to use as braces for #2.
Leave a Reply.