I loaned the first ukulele I built to a charming neighbor girl who has been singing with it for about two years now. She has developed into quite a musician and has put a lot of miles on this walnut and cedar tenor. Tonight she brought it over, feeling very bad. A friend had dropped it. The top has a nasty crack. I assured her that it will be an easy fix- so keep tuned. I will post pictures of my repair process. I think, I hope it will be an easy fix.
On the brighter side of the day- I only had a couple of hours in the shop, but I got the fret grooves cut in the ebony fretboards and got them tapered.
This is a very handy new ruler in my workshop. It is called a "center finder" I used it today to quickly find and mark the center of each fret board and then mark 3/4 inch on each side of center. That was the spot I wanted to taper them to in order to have 1 1/2 inches at the nut. All four of these tenors will have the wider than normal neck at the nut. Each of the new owners has agreed with me that the wider neck is desirable.
Once measured and marked they are taken to the saw sled and ripped to the marks.
And here they are- each sitting on its instrument awaiting their frets. I just dropped the pegged plates on to give you an idea of what the finished instruments will look like.