NOT MUCH TIME to be in the workshop today but I did get that chunk of walnut cut up into the rough neck blanks. Here is what they look like fresh from the band saw
They don't look like much at this stage but now the fun begins, shaping these into nice slim playable necks that will accept the sides in their Spanish style slots. I may begin this build by starting with three of these neck blanks. Then I will thin and brace the top, cut the sound hole, and attach it to a neck. Then the sides are bent and glued on held by tentalones, Then the carving of the back. Stay tuned and watch the fun.
As I was band-sawing the necks I discovered that my scrap box was over-flowing. I thought you might enjoy seeing it. Don't worry, I will salvage much of that nice walnut to make butt plates and backing plates for future ukes. I might laminate some together and make kitchen utensils for the grand-kids, and finally I save my hardwood scraps for a gal who makes a variety of Ukulele related things such as name tags, Uke picks etc. She loves may scrap, but finally the soft woods and unusable pieces go to the neighbor across the street for kindling for their fireplace. I guess I had better sort through it and separate it before I turn the band-saw on again.