WHAT A DELIGHT; I was able to spend the whole day in the workshop working on my music stand, Oh, I got another coat of french polish onto the three tenors, but the rest of the time I was at the wood lathe, the bandsaw , the table saw, etc. Made a lot of progress- Let me show you.
Got the rack all cut and fitted together. here it is glued up and clamped to the work table. Notice the square. Clamps hold down the base and one side but I must rely on the dead weight of the rail section
and a bag of lead shot to hold each joint flat against the table. Every thing is glued together.
Now the turning is taking shape. This will be a big donut with a 3/4 inch hole down the center that will slide up and down the shaft. It will also have a threaded hole in its side into which a threaded knob will be screwed.
Now I want to make the collar that will hold the fork to hang a uke from, and be able to lock to the shaft to adjust the elevation of the music rack.
Holding a round small object on a drill press and drilling a 3/4 hole in it is not easy and is maybe even a little dangerous. I find this double clamp routine really simple and effective. The forstner bit worked like a charm cutting with the grain.
Here it is with the side hole drilled. I must now cut threads in the side hole.
Cutting the threads in the side hole.
Here is the stop ring drilled and fitting perfectly on the shaft that will slip up and down in the hole I am yet to drill in the side of the stop ring.
And here it is slipping up and down the shaft. When the wooden set screw is set in this hole it will control the height of the music rack.
Now I am turning the bolt that will have threads cut into it to and screw into the hole in the stop ring
Here it is, and it works. It will allow for adjustable height, and to the opposite side from the nut will be the yoke to hold the instrument. More of this tomorrow.