Not much time in the workshop the last couple of days, but I have got the frets installed in the fingerboards and today I got the heel caps made and glued to both uke's heels.
I wanted some black white black trim on the heel cap to match that on the bindings around the instruments. That is done with very thin veneer of maple (for the white), and ebony (for the black) stacked one on another. I had already shaped the heel cap, now using it for a pattern on the veneer, I simply cut the veneer with scissors.
So here are all the pieces. From the top left, the Honduran Rosewood heel cap, and black, white and black to be glued on in that order.
Now for the glue, spread out on each layer with a brush.
Lastly, on goes the heel cap.
Now clamp it down, and tomorrow the baritone will have it's heel cap.
Next I did the Concert. There will be lots of shaving, carving and sanding tomorrow to finish them. That is always a pleasant job. After that, a final sanding of the soundboards and it will be time to glue on the fingerboards.