WOW!, if things are going well you can really get a lot done in four hours. Thats about how long I had to work in the shop today.
I began by putting the final shape on the tenor neck. First I spent a long time with the scraper, slowly rounding and slimming the neck. I opened the big workshop garage door so I had lots of natural light.
With lots of light you have a shadow that reveals the taper of the neck. Seems to help you as you slowly shave away.
I keep checking the thickness up and down the neck with this device comparing it to my favorite instruments. The digital read-out is very helpful. I bought this at Grizzly for about $18.00. Very handy tool.
Once I was satisfied with the shape it was time for the bow sander with 120 grit paper. This great tool rounded and smoothed things perfectly.
If you don't have one of these in your shop, I strongly advise you to make one. I don't remember where I got the idea for this, but I made it many years ago-and it is invaluable for sanding curved things. Just a few scraps of wood and two shingle nails.
Now it is time for the fine sanding. I began with 120, then 180, now 220. From now on I will be sanding the entire instrument. Next will be 320, then 400- then it will be time to fill pores and finish.
Now for the scary stuff. I decided to cut the groove for the binding on "Journey". I had to insert a stick in the holding clamp to accommodate the slimmer concert
Hooray! the cut when perfectly. Might as well see what I have for binding.
Perfect!, I had this highly figured Australian Blackwood already bent. It will add a nice contrast. Lets put it on.
First I rubbed a coat of shellac on the delicate cedar. I don't want the binding tape to rip off any wood. Then I bent and fitted the binding for one side and glued it on.
Oh yes !, I am going to like it. After dinner I took the tape off and was happy to see a good fit. This will be a nice bright feature for a dark instrument. I will finish the binding tomorrow and the "journey" continues,