IT WAS TIME TO MAKE THE BRIDGES that hold the Buffalo Bone saddles. The bridges must be French Polished right along with the instruments, so today I took some scrap ebony and made three bridges. Sanded them up to 320 grit and in the morning, when I put another application of french Polish on the Ukes, I will also polish the bridges. They will all get shiny together.
Nothing fancy here, but they will look fine when gussied up with the string pegs with mother of pearl dots, Thats about as much bling as I will use.
Now I think I have got all of the little details filled or smoothed over and it is just time for lots of coats of shellac rubbed in with the "munica". I had to scrape and sand a part of one neck. When the finish goes on irregularities really show up. Lots of things that are easy to miss in the bare wood stage.
The next task, between coats of shellac, will be making the nuts and saddles from Buffalo bone. Out with the jewelers saw and the sanding block, I will be making bone dust tomorrow.