How is this for a pretty back? This is the Cocobolo. I just trimmed the edges with the small router and you can believe I used gloves and a mask as the little chips fly everywhere, but all four tenors are now boxed up and the edges trimmed almost flush to the sides. I finish this trim with sandpaper.
The primary goal is to have the top and bottom edges perfectly flush with the sides to insure an accurate cut when the router bit cuts the groove for the binding. While I am at it I get a first whack at the entire body with 120 grit paper. Notice this little sanding device. I find its handle, tucked into the palm of my hand removes a lot of the stress on fingers. I attach 3M Stikit sandpaper to its pad. Works great.
I installed the heel cap on two of the ukes yesterday. Now I have to grind them down to fit. Here I am using a very sharp little plane to bring the cap down to be flush with the instrument back.
I sanded the tops of all four, first with 120 grit, then 220, then 320. Then I applied a wash coat of 2 Lb. Shellac to each. I want to protect the tops from dirt and stain that they will be exposed to during the rest of the build. I also wanted the shellac as it reduces the chance of tear-out when I take the router to them to cut the binding grooves. You can see the binding on the table to the left of the instruments. First task will be to bend the bindings. Maybe I will get to that tomorrow, also the scary task of cutting the grooves into these newly boxed up instruments. Wish me luck