It is still snowing and cold, but not sticking. A fine day to retreat to the workshop. Lots of activity. Getting the purfling and binding on #101, beginning and planning what #'s 102 and 103 will be. One of them will be another Kasha. More about that later.
First task is to cut the channel for the end piece on #101. One of the decisions is, should the wide part be up or down. I decided this time on up.
This is the small router which makes the cut. The little collar rides around the acrylic form in the prior picture and controls the cut.
Here is the result. Worked very nicely. I will fill that with a wood that matches the binding.
another sheet of saran wrap on top
Then a board on top of the joint
And on top of that, a bag of lead shot so they won't raise when the pressure is on.
and then the clamps are tightened up
Here is the match that I have decided on. I glued it up today. This will make an amazing back.
I have decided to build another Kasha tenor, I am intrigued by the great clarity and volume and want to see how different woods will change the sound. This is"torrified" Sitka Spruce given me by my friends at Pacific Rim Tonewood. A normal piece of Sitka is shown above. The torrified wood is a heat and oxygen deprived process that is supposed to mature and improve the sound of spruce. I think I will match it with the wild Cocobolo. Ought to be an interesting instrument. One of these Kasha tenors will be for sale. So far I plan to keep # 100. It is a lovely instrument. This new one might be even better. It will surely be unusual. If I sell it it will a bit more expensive than my usual tenor as Cocobolo is very pricey, and this is really unusual Cocobolo. Torrified spruce is also pricey.