In these troubled times this was a good day to hide in the workshop and try to create beauty. I am weary tonite but grateful that we still are healthy and functioning. I wish the same for you. Here was the days progress.
with three ukes under construction I found myself short of tentalones. so out came the jig, and the strips of bass wood that I had cut months ago. You can buy these vital parts, but if Griffin Ukuleles are hand made, then so must be the tentalones.
once the slices are run through the band saw there is a bit of hand work to do, slicing the angle, and sanding them into a nice looking connector that holds a ukulele together.
So here we are. This will get me through the next few builds. Now on to more complex things.
Now we need a couple of necks. I carefully plot them out on the blanks that I made several months ago. These are the lines that will be cut on the band saw.
And here it goes through the band saw.
This is the critical cut that will accept the ends of the sides. It is so important that the cut be exactly at right angles to the flat of the fretboard. These worked out very well.
And it is important that the slots be wide enough to accept the sides readily. Makes it much easier when assembling the instruments.
and now we must shape the neck. this involves the draw knife, the spoke shave, the rasp, and the chisel
'but when it comes down to the final strokes, the fine carving, there is nothing better than a sharp blade and just old fashioned whittling.