Just kidding, I had a great day and loved it. Lots of variety today.
i didn't get all of those pores filled the first time so after a couple more applications of French Polish I decided to pumice one more time.
A few drops of alcohol on a pad, dip it in pumice shaken out on a piece of paper. Wait for the pumice to clear and then rub firmly with a circular motion. You can feel the pumice gently grinding and filling those pores with shellac and maybe a little wood. Pumice is a very fine abrasive.
As the French Polish slowly builds up with each application the beauty of the wood begins to reveal itself. Notice how the "bear claw" markings begin to stand out. That will continue as the finishing goes on.
Next, I decided to make the neck for the Concert Pinecone which will be #148. This is a black walnut neck from a stash of walnut I have had for 35 years. It ought to be plenty dry by now.
Looks like everything turned out fine. Now for the whittling. Oh! but first I must saw the slots that the sides will slip into. I make pinecones using the Spanish neck method as I do all of my instruments.
the cuts are made on the band saw. I always use a test piece of curved wood to simulate the side and to make sure it will fit nicely in the slot.
Then I tackled the neck for #147, a Baritone. I even got the router out and cut the slot for the carbon fiber rod before taking the neck to the band saw.
Got them both nicely shaped and ready to attach to their sound boards.