Got a lot done in the workshop today, here is a scattering of the activity.
Got the work back from Bay Engraving, G's and Yin/Yangs needed to be fitted into the wood I had provided. Rick glued in the G's, sanded the spalted maple pieces and here is re-drawing the peg head shape for cutting.
Peg head plates of spalted maple for future ukuleles.
I cut the slots for the bindings on both the tenor and the baritone, got the hot pipe heated up and bent all the bindings.
Bending the bindings is pretty easy but a little tedious. Four bindings for each uke. Takes some time as you want to be careful not to break them.
I find this piece of wood a handy tool, and it keeps your finger away from that 360 degree hot pipe.
I got the rosette installed in the sound boards for the next build, here I am widening the sound hole to its proper size on the sander. The slight stain on the Spruce is shellac placed in the cut slot sealing the wood so the super-glue used to fix the rosette will not penetrate and stain the spruce dark.
these nice bear claw Sitka Spruce sound boards are now ready for their tone bars.
Stuart's baritone getting the binding slots cut with the router. Always makes a mess.
A busy work table
The final cut, for the end piece. Always a relief to get all this slot cutting done successfully.
The final preparations for installing the bindings, and checking fit with a scrap of binding. Installation will have to wait til tomorrow, this has been a long day.