Nothing like a full day in the workshop to get things done. Fun, productive, and this build is progressing nicely
I began with a coat of French Polish on the last build. They are getting so close to being done, Maybe tomorrow I will begin the final three coats of thinner dilute shellac. Next I pulled out my stock of sawn sitka spruce bracing stock. I hand picked this extremely fine grained spruce from the big bin at Pacific Rim Tonewoods. Beautiful stuff, with the grain rising vertically in the braces.
First I cut them to length. Three of each piece,
Then, after marking each piece I took them to the band saw to rough them out. I will sit down with my sharp exacto knife and do a lot of whittling soon, but these are all ready for that . Whittling the braces is one of the satisfying parts of uke making. Tapering the spine, perfecting the curve, thinning the tips as much as you dare, That approaches the artistry in making fine instruments.
So here are all the braces and tonebars for three tenors. There is plenty of whittling ahead.
Then I moved on to the necks. You must carefully mark, measure and draw what you want.
More marking, measuring and drawing. These markings are critical to success.
I even got to the stage of burning the makers info into the neck. Next step will be putting the rosette into that master grade redwood. Cross your fingers and keep tuned.