It is a beautiful warm June day and I opened the big garage door and worked in the workshop in fresh air. I touched up a few things for the last build. Getting ready to ship those ukes and kinda sorry to see them go. I plan to make myself a martini tonight, barbecue hamburgers and play those ukes a farewell concert as the burgers cook.
Now that I have the Redwood tops book matched and glued together, it is time to work on the backs. Here is the Claro walnut about to be glued. I bought this wood already cut in rough tenor shape so I have no square edges to clamp with. I pulled a couple of scraps out of my scrap box to provide that square edge. I later glued and clamped this walnut back. It is now nicely joined.
Here is the same solution with the Cocobolo which I cut in my enthusiasm. Geez this is beautiful wood. I am guessing it will make an amazing uke.
The Redwood tops are all glued together now, so before sanding them level in the thickness sander I am trimming them down to the basic shape
Now it is time to smooth them down on both sides to prepare for a rosette and sound hole. I just want to level them up at this point. Fine sanding and finish comes later.
Most of the rest of the afternoon was devoted to running the sides for the next built through the thickness sander. Got the walnut, the Brazilian and the Cocobolo down to .085 which is the bending thickness. I hope.!!!
The final results for the day are, sides all thinned down ready to be bent. Tops ready for rosette work, and backs in various states of preparation but looking great. It was a nice day heightened by the email from a fellow named Harvey who committed to buying the Cocobolo. That means this build is sold, almost before it is started, Very pleasing. My only concern remains, what if I build the holy grail of ukuleles in this build. I may want to keep it for myself. Thanks guys and gal. I will build the best instruments that I can for you.