I tossed the first peg head and made another today. Not perfect, but better and I will use it. The day began with the final sanding. 80 grit to 120, to 180, to 220 and finally 320.
I use stikit sandpaper on these excellent applicators. They have an extension that extends to your palm and really helps with finger and hand control.
Once the sanding is done it is time to protect the wood with a coat of shellac, rubbed on with a cotton ball. This also shows some problems, like the glue residue that shows in white. I will have to scrape and sand that off.
But all in all, this instrument is looking great. It is always fun to see how just one coat of finish makes the binding jump. I just love this Aussie Blackwood binding.
And now, to deal with the peg head. I went to my storage locker and dug out the last of the spalted maple. I found this nice piece, Sanded it down flat, cut the inlay and stuck a "g" into it. Here you see it bathed in medium thickness super glue. Lets run this through the sander and see what we have got.
A long way from perfect, but better. I think I can improve some of those dark spots, and I sure like the wood. This will probably be it.
So here it what #100 looks like today. I Will soon be stringing this guy up. Excited to hear it's song.