IT IS TIME TO START THE FRENCH POLISH. The final sanding got done today, These ukes are built, now its time to make them beautiful.
East Indian Rosewood has lots of pores and they need to be filled to get a great finish. I am trying a new technique for me. Rather than a store bought pore filler, I have sanded the end grain of a scrap piece to get extremely fine saw dust (in the tin). Now I rub dilute shellac on the wood, sprinkle saw dust on it and rub it cross grain with a bit of cotton. The shellac carries the sawdust into the pores and hardens. One coat is on and looking almost done. I will do one more application, let it dry and then sand it smooth. If the pores are no longer visible, the French Polish process will begin. I used to use pumice to fill the pores. We will see what works best.
Here is an idea for you-- I use sandpaper with sticky backs. I buy it in large rolls. I love it. I came up with the idea of sticking it to un used plastic credit cards to be used in small situations. I have found the idea to be wonderfully useful. I stick varying grades of sandpaper to opposing ends of those cards that folks send you and you do not want. Then I mark with a marker pen the grit of the sandpaper . I find these flexible and thin sanding devices extremely useful.
The last structural part of the three tenors was finished quickly. The bridges are here shown, completed and waiting for French Polish. They are really identical in size, the camera angle somehow makes them look graduated in size.